- Gender: Male
- Species/Race: Human
- Age: 20
- Height: 5'7" / 1.74 m
- Weight: 121.3 lb. / 55 kg
- Hair Color: Orange (dyed)
- Eye Color: Green
- Skin Color: Abnormally Pale
- Figure: Scrawny
Synes Ink – Leroy is, without a doubt, a genius. Paintings, wooden carvings, pottery, etc… If it’s art-related, he’s done it. Among the many countless creations he’s made so far, his ink paintings receive the most attention. Using only black, red, blue, and yellow ink he creates works of art that captivates the eye and send shudders down people’s spines. Sometimes literally.
Using ink as his medium, Leroy can make people feel certain emotions by painting pictures, or leaving a mark on the person with his hand. If he paints something with a specific emotion in mind, whoever looks at the painting will experience that emotion. Generally looking away from the painting will allow the emotion to dissipate, but similar to the suspension bridge effect sometimes the illusory feeling he has the person feel can end up triggering their real emotions which tends to linger.
If he leaves a fingerprint on someone after dipping his finger in ink, he can leave them a vague sense of the emotion he wants them to feel. A mere fingerprint is not very strong and it may just leave the person more confused than anything else really, wondering why they suddenly felt a certain way. A complete handprint, however, is much stronger. For example, if he instills ‘fear’ into someone with an ink handprint, they will feel frightened and can later go into a panic attack or even go insane if the mark is left on the person for several days. The handprint initially just makes the person feel the emotion, and over time the effect will grow stronger. Adding more handprints of the same emotions will make the effects stronger, and adding different emotions can produce more complicated effects or result in cancelling each other. Washing the mark away (or removing the piece of clothing the mark is on) will remove his effect on the person, but the emotion the person feels won’t disappear right away.
He can’t use his ability without ink. He can create a very weak substitute with his blood, but the potency of his power is essentially halved.
Leroy’s sense of touch seems rather ‘dull’ compared to most people. This can sometimes be a source of strength (e.g. he can ignore a lot of pain and keep moving), however usually this causes a lot of trouble for him. It takes him longer to notice he’s injured, meaning he can move that area and make the injury worse. He can go outside in scorching heat and not realize the ‘discomfort’ he feels is actually a sign he’s getting heat stroke until he eventually falls onto the ground.
Perhaps as a result of his dulled touch, he does not handle impairments to his sight very well. For example, darkness. He needs to be able to see properly. Covering his eyes, being in complete darkness, or basically anything that makes him feel ‘blinded’ will make him panic and lash out.
[What specific combat and non-combat abilities to their powers allow them to possess?]
He smiles warmly, keeps his words and actions polite, and always goes out of his way to reach out to help people. How scary. Leroy’s kindness is not an act, however, the warmth is a lie. He is pointlessly kind, and can be pointlessly cruel in return. A child can selflessly rescue a butterfly from a spider’s web just because they felt it should be done, but another can rip off the butterfly’s wings without feeling a single tinge of remorse or guilt. He is a child without guidance. Innocent, yet cruel.
When he discovered his ability exactly is unknown, but his parents believe Leroy’s behavior began to change around the age of 12, when he was beginning to gain recognition as an artistic prodigy. From experimenting with all sorts of different styles and media, it was around this point that he became oddly focused on ink paintings in particular.
Over the years, Leroy brought many different classmates to his home, introducing them as ‘friends’ coming over to play. But his parents began to notice an odd pattern. After a while, Leroy’s ‘friends’ always stopped visiting and he would bring over new children they had never seen before. At the same time, strange rumors were surfacing about him at school. They said that the people around Leroy always seemed to go mad. His ‘friends’ were always haunted by strange nightmares that persisted even when they were awake, or always laughing and enjoying themselves as if they were within a never-ending euphoria.
His parents talked to him about this issue, and Leroy did not deny these claims and merely smiled at them, telling them not to worry because those children were not actually his friends. Frightened for the first time by their own son, they did their best to understand what his powers were like and to teach him not to abuse it but… To no avail. They sent him off to Athalia Academy, hoping that there was someone that could do what they could not.
Theo's Food Preference TestEdit
- Love: “La fée verte. Commonly known as ‘absinthe’. I’m glad it the ban on it was lifted by the time I was old enough to get into alcohol. I cringe when I see people down cheap absinthe as shots. Part of the enjoyment is to watch the drink change with water you know?”
- Hate: “I’ll eat pretty much anything if it’s edible, but maybe jellied eels? Doesn’t look too appetizing, and the texture is rather questionable.”
- Mixed: “Ever tried turkey liver? It smells bad but tasted rather good. Problem is I’m not sure if I liked it enough to get over the strong scent. I’ll probably give it another shot sometime in the future.”
- What are you? Artist.
- How do you see yourself? Special.
- What is your personality? Empty.
- Where would you like to be most right now? Everywhere.
- Why? Interesting.
- What is your purpose? Experimentation.
- Who are your friends? Art.
- Why? Beautiful.
- What do you consider most important to you? Nothing.
- Do you have any regrets right now? Nope.
- What would you like to do in the future? Paint.
- Why? Fun.
- What makes you angry? Darkness.
- Why? Lost.
- What makes you happy? People.
- Why? Amusing.
- What was the most important memory for you? Fight.
- How has that memory shaped you as a person? Influential.
- What are you lacking right now? Presence.
- Do you intend to do anything about it? Impossible.
[Anything else we should know?]
[What is their perspective on the events of Athalia Academy?]
- He was originally designed to be a source of 'chaos' within the academy. While technically not on the side of evil, Theobromine had originally intended for Leroy to be a rather 'troublesome' character that needed to be stopped at some point. Unfortunately, since then Theo has started worrying about accidentally stepping over the bounds without ending up god-modding and Leroy has been fading off into the background... For now.
- His surname Yew was made in variation to the surname of a family of evil wizards Theobromine read about as a child, and also refers to species of coniferous trees in the genus Taxus. These trees tend to be quite toxic, though in very small quantities there are applications for the toxins to be used as medicine.
- His name Leroy means "the King", but it was chosen randomly without any real reference to his character.
- Leroy has won several art contests during his childhood years, but hasn't entered any since then.
- Leroy sometimes sells his works to individuals through online auctions. He has been approached by many different galleries, but has refused to sign any sort of contract. He has sometimes sold or even donated his works to galleries though.
- Any works he has sold or donated has been made under a pseudonym.